Sunday, February 20, 2011

Social Capital

In class, we discussed social capital, and it really got me thinking. Prior to this class, I thought that SNS's were for entertainment...but now I am really starting to see the benefits of SNS's. People can follow others (Twitter) or friend (Facebook, etc) someone that they don't really know that well. However, these "weak" ties can lead to opportunities that one wouldn't otherwise have.
From a safety standpoint, it is often advocated to not allow someone access to your profile and information, unless you know them very well. I have strongly believed that statement prior. But, now I am starting to see the advantages of social capital. The Internet provides a unique opportunity to meet others that you wouldn't otherwise have any access to. Somebody can be halfway around the world, and because of SNS's and the Internet, you can communicate with them. This can provided a multitude of opportunities. I use to think...'oh Twitter is creepy, you can follow what someone else is doing at any moment of the day'. I  use to believe that people just posted what they had for lunch, or 'oh the line at Starbucks is SO long today'. Granted, there are many cases of that (just as there are on Facebook too), but there is a lot that one can learn. I have had the opportunity to meet new people, to learn about programs and publications that I wouldn't have otherwise hear about, and broaden my knowledge in the field that I study. It is a powerful tool with a wealth of knowledge, and I must say, I am starting to really enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad to see you're beginning to think differently about Twitter, and to even enjoy it. Of course, I've got to say... weak ties are not for children! Things are entirely different when it comes to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I agree. It is completely different in regards to children! They shouldn't have weak ties at all! Although, based off of the last Article review I did, it stated that culture is changing, where it is becoming the norm for children to talk to others they don't know...and that people shouldn't tell kids to not do this becuase they will regardless. Its a scary thought that its becoming "OK" for kids to meet strangers online...

    ReplyDelete