Sunday, February 13, 2011

SNS experience

So I had a Social Networking Site experience that I would like to share. On Wednesday, 2/9/2011, at about 6:40 pm, I had gone out to my car. I was at home and had to leave to go to campus for a meeting. Well, when I got outside, I noticed somebody had HIT my car! The bumper (driver's side), was hanging about 1.5" off, with a huge dent and a huge crack! I stood there and was in shock that someone hit my PARKED car!!! I immediately looked to see if someone left a note with their insurance details, as that is the RIGHT thing to do when you hit someones car. Well of course, there wasn't a note. I noticed a man in another car, who had parked and was just sitting in his car. I will leave his name and details about him out of this, but let's just say, I knew who he was. He was sitting in his car watching me. My analytical mind started racing...he never parks in that spot, in fact he ALWAYS parks in the spot next to mine. I immediately call the police and file a report. I went inside to get the number for the agency, and in that time (probably 1.5 min), the man was out of his car and somewhere else. He must have run! I told the officer (who was extremely nice, by the way) who I believed hit my car and left the scene. I told him why and that there was paint from his car on mine (paint color, obviously a paint analysis wasn't done). The officer asked me what time I had gotten home on Wednesday and what time I realized the car was hit. At first I wasn't exactly sure the time...but after thinking for a moment, I realized...hey, I wrote on someone's wall as I was walking down the stairs to my car!! So I got on Facebook and looked at the time stamp to see what time exactly I was walking down the stairs. I was able to give the officer the exact time.

For those of you who are curious, the officer was able to get the guy to admit that he did it. He tried denying it at first, but after some convincing, he admitted to it. Thankfully...and yes he had insurance. I just thought it was cool that I used SNS's to check my time, to give a more accurate time!

3 comments:

  1. Rachel, I was so happy to hear the happy ending to a very stressful story! Your deductive reasoning skills really paid off and saved you a lot of money in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good story, I'm glad it has a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see this stuff happen all the time. Idiots around campus scrape against or flat-out hit other cars while trying to park and then just drive away. I probably witness this at least once per week. I used to holler at the driver to stop, but of course they're not going to. Now I just shake my head and mutter to myself.

    ReplyDelete