Sunday, February 27, 2011

Identity Management

In class, we spoke on identity management on social networking sites. I have been thinking about this topic a lot. Managing your identity online is very important now-a-days. Employers, law enforcement, coaches, etc., can see what people are doing based off of their SNS. Employers are checking these sites prior to hire, law enforcement uses them to find bad guys, athletes are being tracked by their coaches and athletic admin to see what they are doing. Maybe a person tells their boss that they are "sick" but posts an unflattering picture on their SNS and their boss sees it...such as that of the Facebook Fairy! SNS's are very much a part of our every day life. So how do you manage your identity on these sites? I think that often, people don't consider their identity online and how it can have impact on their life. A main thing for me, I like to keep my pictures fairly private. Tagged photographs can't be shown on my profile. I can see them, but others can't. I also like to stay away from those "unflattering pictures"....if you don't take them in the first place, then you have nothing to worry about! Sure everyone has a picture with a drink in from of them, but you don't need to take a picture completely "slizzard"....when you get intoxicated to that point, put the camera, phones, etc away! And the best advice....think about what you post before posting it! If you have to think about longer than 15 seconds....then you probably shouldn't do it! :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna lie, i always enjoy your posts lol :D you're right about the last part. if you think about it for longer than 15 seconds then you probably shouldn't do it. it seems that sometimes people have a hard time growing up!! i felt so embarrassed for the facebook fairy, BUT thats the consequence of lying to his boss i guess. I personally don't like the idea of posting pictures online, there are so many creepers out there and i feel that by posting pictures you're basically feeding their creepiness and making it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I don't know how the picture of me in a fairy costume ended up online, I was told that it was for um educational purposes only.

    On a serious note, what you wrote about kind of hits home. I had a friend who went to a job interview and during the interview questions about her Facebook account came up regarding pictures, statuses, etc. It is crazy to think about that when you go in for an interview not only will you have to answer questions regarding the job, but also your online life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know which I love more, your 15 second rule, or Scott's comment?

    ReplyDelete